Friday, February 12, 2010

Why the Celtics MUST trade Ray Allen

Three years ago when the news broke that the Celtics had traded for the silky-smooth sharpshooter, Ray Allen, I was thrilled. Paul Pierce finally had a real player who could compliment him with a real 3-point shot (sorry 'Toine, but I don't think you would even bet against Ray Ray). THEN, the I started hearing rumors murmuring of Kevin Garnett making it a menage tois in Boston. And right away I knew given the team's veteran experience (to put it lightly) would only give the Celtics a three year window to get a championship.

We all know that they achieved that goal in their first year, but since 2007 it's become clear that three is certainly a crowd. One man has to go. And that one man is Ray Allen.

Look, ideally I wouldn't want to trade any of them, but we don't have a choice here. The Celtics are running on fumes and a gas station is no where in sight. A move has to be made. Not only is Allen an above average talent with big-name status, his contract is more than enticing to other executives which will expire at season's end. Honestly, I'd like to dump KG too because, realistically, a player can't run with a walker. But KG has the vocal, active leadership role; something a soft-spoken Allen does not do well. I think the leadership and ferociousness that KG brings to a team is nearly invaluable and for that reason he stays and Allen goes.

Also if the Celtics were to package a couple other expiring contracts (i.e. Brian Scalabrine, Eddie House, J.R. Giddens, Tony Allen) then they might be able to reload their team, drop some salary, and get that spark that has been missing since early this year. Here have been a few of the trade rumors circling the league surrounding Ray Allen:
  • CELTICS GET: F, Antawn Jamison and F, Caron Butler
    WIZARDS GET: SG, Ray Allen, F, Brian Scalabrine and SG, J.R. Giddens
  • CELTICS GET: SG, Monta Ellis
    WARRIORS GET: SG, Ray Allen
  • CELTICS GET: SG, Kevin Martin
    KINGS GET: SG, Ray Allen
  • CELTICS GET: PG, Kirk Heinrich and SF, John Salmons
    BULLS GET: SG, Ray Allen, F, Brian Scalabrine and PG, Eddie House
I wouldn't have a problem with any of those trades, outside of the Kevin Martin one. I was never that big on Martin, and you'd essentially be trading for the same player: a pure scorer who can't do much of anything else.

To the people who ask, "why trade Ray Allen? I love Ray Ray?" I offer this: Allen is down in most of his career number. A career 20-point scorer and 40% from three, Allen is averaging just 16 points while shooting 33% from beyond the arc. Even his free throw percentage is down from last year's near-perfect 95% to 89%. How much longer and he just run around screens all game before his legs fall off? And if you're going to agree that a change must happen, then what else do they do? You have to give up talent to get talent. It's just a way of life.

If you're still not sold on trading Ray Allen, I offer up this knowledgeable nugget to wrap up this article: Even Jesus was shunned by his people, so why can't Jesus Shuttlesworth be shunned too?

2 comments:

Adam Vaccaro said...

No gas station in sight? The All Star Break!

I'm not totally opposed to a trade but I don't think it's time to blow it up, not just yet.

Wesley Sykes said...

I always appreciate your insight Adam. But I'm not so sure the All-Star break will be enough. Pierce, Allen, and KG are hurting. And I doubt Rondo's 165-pound frame will be able to carry the C's deep into the playoffs.

I'm not asking for them to blow up the team. I'm simply asking them to get talent for the expiring contracts that they're not going to re-sign. I feel like it's quite obvious that they are lacking something, and they need a spark to re-ignite this team to their championship status. I just don't feel like Ray, Paul, and KG can cut it together anymore. Why not give it a try with another group of hungry players?