Thursday, August 13, 2009

Bourne wins CCBL Championship; Brings joy to town

Cape Cod Times- The Bourne Braves didn't want to make their fans wait any longer. Twenty-one years was enough. The Braves were ready to deliver the town of Bourne its first Cape Cod Baseball League championship. They defeated the Cotuit Kettleers 5-1 to complete a two-game sweep and give Bourne its trophy.

The Braves were savoring what they'd given Bourne, a town most of them had never even driven through before the month of June.
“Believe” was the team's motto this postseason, and though Bourne certainly wasn't an underdog heading into the championship series, it was a mantra that came in handy yesterday. The Braves fell behind Cotuit 1-0 in the second inning after a monster double by Tony Plagman (Georgia Tech) scored Kevin Keyes (Texas).

But Bourne didn't worry – the Braves believed they'd come back. After a dramatic ninth-inning come-from-behind win over Orleans in the second round of the playoffs, they knew they could always fight back. (For the rest of the story go here.)

If you call yourself a baseball fan and haven't heard of the Cape Cod Baseball League...get a f**cking clue. The Cape League has been responsible for over 1700 Major League players, 207 who played in the 2008 season.

A non-profit organization, the Cape League has been the preeminent amateur baseball league since 1885 producing cream of the crop Major League Talent. (i.e. Tim Lincecum-Harwich '99, Evan Longoria-Chatham '05, Frank Thomas-Orleans '88, Lance Berkman-Wareham '96, Kevin Youkilis-Bourne '00, Todd Helton-Orleans '94, Carlos Pena-Harwich '96, Jacoby Ellsbury-Falmouth '04, Nomar Garciaparra-Orleans '93)

But talent isn't the only thing the league attracts. Summer after summer fans of all ages come to catch a game (for free!) while soaking up that old time baseball feel. Guys, gals, geezers, milfs, teenagers, purists, tourists they all love it. It's become an equally the must-see attraction as the Cape's picturesque beaches.

I couldn't feel more love for the Braves. Living only a 10-minute drive away from where the Braves played, I grew up with them. There's really nothing better as 9-year-old spending the day at a ball field playing pickle and Wiffleball with your friends imitating the stars of tomorrow. I recall at the painfully awkward stage of 14 my mother enrolling me into a Bourne Braves baseball camp. Sounds great, right? She failed to realize that it was a camp for kids ranging from 6-12. You think it's embarrassing striking out? Try striking out against someone half your age! Despite the discomfort I still had a blast. When I was 15 my dad took me to the Cape League All-Star game in Falmouth (to show you how far the CCBL has come, this years all-star game was at Fenway). We watched the home run derby and I met my idol and Cape League enthusiast, Peter Gammons. I was in awe. Not only did I meet the man I want to become, but-at 15-I was already taller than the guy!

And now, at 22, I should've been able to say I saw Bourne's first championship in their 44-year existence, but instead I was in New York! Blah! The worst decision made since "stumbling" across the Jonas Brothers in 3-D continues to bite me in the ass.

Yet I couldn't be happier for the town of Bourne. Over the summer this quaint town has been tortured by tragedy. On July 19 Danny Cardoza, 22, was stabbed to death at a local gas station. The assailant was also in critical condition after being stabbed as well. Four of my classmates were involved in car accidents, one of whom died. 10-year-old Patric McCarthy passed away in 2003 after getting lost in the woods on a New Hampshire camping trip. The McCarthy family, who own a couple of Dunkin Donuts in town, reopened the case after new evidence of possible foul play was involved.

Sports have always been the perfect escape from the real world. And the Braves have given the people in this town a much needed escape. Congrats guys, you've earned it.

No comments: