Friday, August 14, 2009

Brady, Remy return to the spotlight on Thursday





















Aahh all is right in the world. Tom Brady is back on the field, ladies and gents! And looked quite polished in his first game back, I might add. Brady threw two touchdowns to TE Chris Baker while getting back together with the hottest couple in the league. No I'm not talking about him and Gisele Bundchen. Do you remember a little record-setting season in which Brady threw for 50 touchdowns? Well 23 of those touchdowns were to Randy Moss. And how refreshing was it to see Brady-to-Moss again?

Hell, how refreshing it was to just see Brady back in a Patriots uniform. After the "Super Bowl That Shall Not Be Named", Brady has been amidst a media shit storm. From ESPN's over-exposure of the Spy Gate coverage, to E!'s over-exposure of his relationship with Gisele the guy just couldn't get away. Since when is a 15-second clip of Brady walking in a boot considered breaking news anyway?

I mean, Brady did look great on the silver screen. He absolutely killed it on Entourage last week. But I'd much rather see him suit-up in a Pats uniform than a three-piece suit. Expect another MVP-caliber season from the GOAT.

Can someone remind me who Matt Cassel is again?

In other Bostonian news, Red Sox legend Jerry Remy returned to the booth yesterday for the Sox's day game against the Tigers. Remy, the color analyst for the Sox over the past 22 years, has been recovering for lung cancer and a battle with depression since the start of spring training. Remy is no doubt a legend in and around Fenway, and everyone welcomed him warmly.

His return came at a perfect time. I don't know how many more road games I could listen to the mundane voice of Dave Roberts before I put a gun to my head. God that guy needs to grow a personality. Don't get me wrong, I love and respect everything he's done for the Sox, mainly that stolen base in Game 4 of the ALCS. But perhaps he's better suited for NPR than RSN.



This is a tough story for me to write. While I love the enthusiasm Remy brings to the booth and the undeniable chemistry with Don Orsillo, I hate Jerry Remy the person. For the 2006 and 2007 seasons I worked at Fenway Park as a supervisor for the facilities department. (Basically I would bullshit with people and watch the game for $16 an hour.) I would constantly be in the media rooms because reporters are the filthiest slobs I have ever met. And I can't tell you how many times Remy and I have crossed paths I simply say "Hey. How ya doing?" and he looks down and pretends I wasn't there. Or I'm washing my hands next to him, and he doesn't say a word. Instead opting to wash his hands in an awkward silence.

But it doesn't stop there. A few years back my friend's dad was at his autobiography signing and he picked up on his arrogance. As fans went up to his table with their ecstatic children, Remy's face stared blankly, making zero conversation.

What an asshole! It's your job as a public figure to give back to the people who allow you to do your job. Instead he keeps his head down and his mouth shut. A real class act if you ask me. He's got a great TV personality, but hopefully after this life-threatening event he'll get off his high horse. Glad to see you back Remdawg.

No comments: