Friday, February 5, 2010

It's about that time for an Improp prediction


It's the Friday before the Super Bowl and I think it's about time to unveil who Mr. Wes (yes, I just did and quite often refer to myself as Mr. Wes) thinks is going to win the Super Bowl. While my predictions during the playoffs were nothing short of abysmal, I think I figured it out. I think I found out the key to winning a butt-load of bucks this Sunday. You want to know my secret? Well, I don't think it's much of a secret, but it's never betting against Peyton Manning.

Which is pretty ironic if you think about it. Remember when Peyton Manning would've sold his left nut for a win in the playoffs? It's funny how things can turn around. But one might say, Peyton just needed a defense to win in the playoffs. Well, now he has one. For the last 2-3 years the Colts have been the best team to bet on, Peyton being a large part of that--if not the majority. And this run Peyton has been on is very similar to those championship years Brady and Patriots had. I know I talk about Tom Brady a lot on here--but bromance aside--it's because the guy is a football legend, like him or not. Those two players and their careers will be forever intertwined. And now it's Peyton's turn to get another ring.

Don't get me wrong here. The Saints are no slouch. If wrath of Peyton's offensive prowess didn't intimidate me so much, I might take the Saints to win. They have an opportunistic defense that has a nose for the ball, a strong 3-headed monster in the backfield, with a full-fledged stars at quarterback and receivers. Not to mention the sentimental story of the city rallying around their football team after Hurricane Katrina and bringing home a Super Bowl title. AND how cool would it be for Hofstra alum, Marques Colston, raising the Lombardi Trophy just months after the school cut the football program?

My head tells me to pick the Colts and my heart is telling me to root for the Saints. Hopefully a cooler head prevails over a burning heart. I'm taking the Colts (-6) and parlaying it with the under of the 56.5 point total. That's a pretty high total considering the Super Bowl has been relatively low-scoring (the last high-scoring game was in 2003 with the Patriots and Panthers tallying 61 points).

But if all this shit just flew over your head, don't worry. There are plenty of other things to bet on to make the game interesting for even the ditsiest of blondes. Check out what THE EMPIRE has to offer.

No comments: