Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The Apocalypse is Here (almost): A New York-Philadelphia World Series

Let me first start by saying that I have an issue to address. I was told yesterday by one of my friends that this blog gets a little too redundant with all this New York bashing that I do. Well, I appreciate your advise Barry Larkin (Yes. THEE 1995 NL MVP!), but this is a sports blog about a Masshole being dropped right-smack in the middle of Yankee County! What else am I supposed to write about? Having said that, I'm willing to comply to my reader's needs. So in light of Barry Larkin's wise words, today I will go light on the New York hate, maybe just pepper in some witty banter here and there.

Last night sealed the deal for me. Watch out world. The New York Yankees have the fast track to their 27th World Series. C.C. Sabathia looked...does anyone know a better word for dominant? Because he was that good. He's been worth his contract in the postseason alone. Plus, the guy's got a nasty arm sleeve going on his non-throwing arm. Gotta respect a guy who can rock the sleeve. The guy's a fucking rockstar in New York right now!

Speaking of stars, they seem to have been aligned for the Yankees all year as they rattled off walk-off wins one after another. And since A-Rod finally decided to start playing October baseball that lineup is longer than Ron Jeremy!

Moving on to the Senior Circuit, the Phillies are poised for back-to-back trips to the World Series after going up 3-1 to the Dodgers last night. I tell you one thing, if there's anyone group of fans I hate more than Yankee fans, it has to be the Philly sports fans. Atleast the Yankees have a classy stigma attached to their name. The Phillies are from Philthadelphia. Their fans are philthy, just like their city. You can't even carry on a conversation without it turning to how this is the year the Eagles and McNabb get over the hump.

I'll give you guys the Phillies, a well-rounded team that's on their way to rightfully defending their title. Their starting staff is equal or better than that of the Yankees, while the offense is equally comparable. The only mismatch will more than likely be their downfall to the Evil Empire, their closer. Ryan Madson/Brad Lidge or Mariano 'The Greatest' Rivera? I'll side with the latter on that one thank you very much. (Oh and it appears that MLB deemed Rivera not guilty of doctoring the ball. I'm not sure how they could tell one way or another, but good for him. He doesn't need the negative attention, although I would like to see it!) Can you picture Brad Lidge closing out game 7 in Yankee Stadium and facing the winning run in Alex Rodriguez? I'm sure he's shitting himself just thinking about it.

Despite my obvious displeasure for both teams, this is best matchup for baseball. What more can you ask for? The defending World Series champs return to fend off the mighty New York Yankees; who are looking for their first title in nine years! Both teams collide with power arms and power bats. It should be another classic Fall Classic! Let's just hope L.A. doesn't ruin the All East Coast Bias Series.



No comments: