Friday, October 23, 2009

Deja Vu All Over Again?

Let me begin by saying that the Yankees should be in the World Series already. But after gagging up game 3 and foiling a game 5 come-from-behind victory, everyone is thinking it. Angel fans. Yankee fans. The players. Joe Girardi. The media pundits. Me.

Will the Yankees choke in the ALCS again?

I think the answer lies in Yankee manager, Joe Girardi. He's already been accused of mismanaging earlier in the series. And after leaving Burnett in to start the seventh off after getting the lead was down right dumb. Then he brings in Damaso Marte to relieve him? Are you kidding me? Hey, I know I hate on the Yankees a lot, but I would knock those moves regardless of the team and my hatred for said team.

Why not start the inning off with Phil Hughes, and have Rivera ready to come in at the first sign of trouble? It's worked the whole second half of the season to near-perfection. An ALCS collapse after placing third in the AL East would more than likely mean Girardi's job under the hot spotlight of the New York media.

In all honesty, I want the Yankees to win the ALCS. We don't need some west coast team ruining an all east coast World Series. The defending World Champions battling the stoic New York Yankees. That is the best story for a World Series since the Red Sox winning in 2004. It's a matchup where, from a fan standpoint, there's no loser. (Unless, of course, you root for either the Phillies or Yankees.) Great pitching vs. great pitching. Power hitting vs. power hitting. New York vs. Philadelphia. Plus, who doesn't love seeing a Muts fan having to decide who they want to win more, the older brother Yankees or arch-nemesis Phillies? HA! I love it!
I hope we get to see a magical game 7 in New York. Win or lose it will be a grand christening for new Yankee Stadium--the only thing better would be winning a World Series in it. John Saunders vs. Andy Pettite is the match-up. Let's hope the Angels stay in the outfield until Game 7.

An inspirational video for Vlad and the crew. If you don't win, I will never have a family. Just sayin' guys. No pressure or anything.



No comments: