Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Is His Saliva the Secret to his Cutter?

There were plenty of good things going on in yesterday's ALCS game against the Angels. Joba Chamberlain giving up the lead was one of them. Seeing Jeff Mathis double in the game-winning run in the 11th was another. But as I was scrolling down my newsfeed on Facebook, I was a post from my friend Peter Costa.

His status read "MO IS A CHEATER!" in all caps with a link to youtube of Rivera allegedly spitting on the ball.

I'm appauled by hearing this as a Red Sox fan. I can only imagine how Yankee fans feel. Rivera, unquestionably the best closer ever, doctoring the ball for an advantage?! What's next? Ichiro Suzuki corking his bat?

Now before I get too far ahead of myself, the evidence is circumstantial. You can't really tell if he's spitting on the ball or past the ball. I want to give Rivera the benefit of the doubt, but his guilty glance over his shoulder before he spat looks pretty incriminating.

Regardless whether he doctored the ball or not, the story has circulated. There's little doubt that when Rivera arrives at the ball park today, reporters will be waiting by his locker to question the Sandman. Hopefully the rumors are enough to throw off the veteran Yankees tonight as C.C. looks to be the stopper against the Yankees.


No comments: