Thursday, November 26, 2009

The Voice Of God To Retire


Bob Sheppard didn't actually utter the word "retire," but the 99 year old Yankees public address announcer says "I have no plans of coming back." Sheppard has been the Yankees P.A. announcer since 1951. Sheppard suffered a bronchial infection in 2007, and hasn't announced a game since then.

Asked if he would even be able to return for one last game, Sheppard told MLB.com "It’s not just the two hours or three hours of baseball....It ’s the trip, the preparation, the trip home, and a long, long day. I think at my age, it's time to accept the fact that I had a great run. A great run. And I only made a few mistakes along the way."

The only player who still comes out to Bob Sheppard's voice is Derek Jeter, who had Sheppard record his introduction for him. Sheppard has yet to visit the new stadium, but is hoping to do so in 2010.

Bob Sheppard, truly a LIVING LEGEND....

No comments: