Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Burnett to NYC: "I let my city down"; Phillies Force Game 6


He had the chance to be the hero. He could have been carried off the field by his teammates. He could have delivered. Unfortunately for the Yankees, A.J. Burnett never worked for UPS. The game was doomed from the start with Utley belting his fifth home-run of the World Series, a three-run shot, in the bottom of the first inning. Burnett lasted to the end of the second inning, giving up six runs, and sucking the celebration out of Yankee fans every where.

Like Sabathia, Burnett was pitching on three days rest; a dicey but necessary move for the thin Yankee rotation. Unlike Sabathia however, Burnett couldn't produce a quality start. I just feel like I let a lot of guys down,” Burnett said after his worst start as a Yankee.

“It’s the worst feeling in the world, to have a chance to do something special and fail like that. … I feel like I let the city down. I felt good,” he said. “I just didn’t get it done. I just couldn’t get the ball where I wanted to.”


Well it looks like the champagne will have to wait for the Bombers. This is the series I wanted to see; back-and-forth action, late-inning heroics, dominant pitching performances. Now we go back to the Bronx for Game 6. It's great.

And as if once wasn't enough, we get to see the most "influential pitcher Yankee Stadium has ever seen", Pedro Martinez. Of course Pedro had something to say after the Phillies Game 6 victory. "See you manana." And Pedro will be going on full rest while Girardi marches out Andy Pettite on three days rest.

Oh yeah, how have I gone this far without mentioning the beast known as Chase Utley? Oh my gahd has this guy stepped it up--as if that was thought to be possible. My one complaint on the guy: lose the hair gel, bro. You look like a broke-ass Pat Riley.

No comments: