Sunday, November 1, 2009

NFL Makes Splash in World of Binge Drinking


[Editor's note: For the purpose of not confusing the plebeians of the world, I will refer to the game as beer pong. But let it be known that I exclusively call the game where you shoot ping-pong balls into Solo cups as Beruit--as it should be called.]

So much for the N.F.L. standing for the "No Fun League". Over the summer, Commissioner Roger Goodell signed off on an NFL "Ping (Beer) Pong Tables" featuring the logos of all 32 teams. A genius idea on behalf of the NFL's marketing team to cash in on the beer pong phenomenon. I mean what's a pre-game party of any kind without playing beer pong? As a former athlete who does little-to-none competitive action, beer pong is the only sport I play. For me, it's more than just a game, it's a way of life.
However, this marketing move contradicts the steps Goodell and the NFL have made in banishing binge drinking from their game. In the article I was reading on BeerPongNews.com, the writer does an outstanding job of presenting his case. I really suggest you take a look at the link above.

The article brings up the uncontrollable, drunken rowdiness that occurs at almost every NFL game and the efforts being done by the NFL to ensure safety and responsibility at the games. Now I may just be talking out of my ass here, but it looks like they're trying to take two steps forward and going one step back. If they're trying to make a conscious effort to hinder pre-game inebriation, then why create and market an item that is solely for that purpose? I just don't get it.

Having said that, I would totally buy this table. I mean look at the thing. It's fucking sweet! What could be better than wiping the floor with some jerkoff Jet fans at a game of beer pong on a table that is plastered in Patriots paraphernalia? Yeah I couldn't think of anything either.

No comments: