Tuesday, December 8, 2009

NCAA looking to expand March Madness?

According to the Sports Business Journal the NCAA is brainstorming some ideas that would tweak their Division I Men's basketball tournament. The first one is moving the tournament to cable television i.e. ESPN. The other is expanding the field to 96 teams, and the whole tournament to one more weekend. In this new format the top 32 teams would get a bye.

I could care less what channel the games are on--I have the Optimum Cable Gold Package, I'm pretty much getting any channel the games are on, its the expansion of the field that's the issue here. I'm for expansion...by 3 teams. What the point of only having one play in game, why not 3? It seems so unbalanced with that one break off the bracket next to the #1 seed. I just don't see the logic in expanding the field by 31 teams. Whats the point of playing the regular season then, if you expand the field by that much your pretty much saying any BCS conference team that's hovering around a .500 conference record is guaranteed a spot in the tournament. The only way I'm in support of a substantial expansion is if it meant more teams from mid major conferences got their shot, but otherwise no thanks. I don't need to see the 12th best team from the Big East with a 15-15 record playing in late March.

No comments: