Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Pedey open to switch to short


"They've asked me if I think I could play shortstop. They've put it out there and I've told them I'm all for it. I can do it. I can't wait for [Terry Francona] to call me and ask, 'Can you do it?' I can do it. I really want to do it." - heart and soul of the red sox, second baseman soon to be short stop, MVP winner, Dustin Pedroia.

Wow all the quotes from him are just orgasmic to hear. I'm half-mast right now. I swears it! Here look for yourself, Pedroia sounds so comfortable with Peter Gammons that I wouldn't be surprised if Peter cradled him in his arms. Talk about some Pedey-on-Petey action!

But on a serious note, I love this guy's attitude. It's everything we need in a leader. It's everything we look for in a hero. It's what Boston hasn't seen in a while; an unselfish player who breathes, sweats, and bleeds his team. And on some real shit, it's quite refreshing. Between him and Kevin Youkilis, the Sox have a solid core of cornerstone players. Those two are just flat-out gritty, grimey Dirtdogs. And it gives me the chills just thinking about it.

If the Sox do decide to switch Pedroia to shortstop I have little doubt that he will do anything but excel. He has played shortstop at stretches throughout college and the minors. He was an All-American shortstop at ASU. The guy is more reliable than a Toyota. He's got a motor that never slows down and a drive that exceeds his competition's. Pedroia even called out the best in the business, Jeter. "Tell Derek [Jeter] to enjoy the Gold Glove and Silver Slugger awards while he can." Easy Yankee fans, it was only a joke. You can continue eating your bagels.

With the Pedroia moving to short, it might be easier to fill the void at second base. Cincinnati 2B Brandon Phillips' name has been tossed around, but there are still other viable options for the Sox in the free agent pool. Orlando Hudson, Placido Polanco, Juan Uribe, and Mark DeRosa are the class of the second basemen on the open market. With the only enticing player at shortstop is Miguel Tejada.

Can't say enough about the guy's attitude towards the game. They just don't make 'em like used to. But Dustin Pedroia is one of the last few good ones left.

No comments: